Brought to you by Pet Poison Helpline & AKC Reunite

The holidays are stressful enough without having to worry about a potentially poisoned pet. When prepping for and celebrating for the season, consider your pets. Below is a list of holiday-related decorations, plants and food items that our friends at Pet Poison Helpline recommend keeping away from pets.

SNOW GLOBES

Snow globes may contain antifreeze (ethylene glycol). As little as one teaspoon of antifreeze in a cat or a tablespoon or two for dogs, depending on the size of animal, can be fatal. Immediate treatment with an antidote is vital. Signs of early poisoning include acting drunk or uncoordinated, excessive thirst, and lethargy. While signs may seem to improve after eight to twelve hours, internal damage is actually worsening, and crystals develop in the kidneys, which result in acute kidney failure.

BUBBLE LIGHTS

Bubble lights have Methylene chloride that can result in depression, aspiration pneumonia and irritation to the eyes, skin and gastrointestinal tract.

TINSEL

If you own a cat, forgo the tinsel. What looks like a shiny toy to your cat can prove deadly if ingested. Tinsel does not pose a poisoning risk but can cause severe damage to a cat’s intestinal tract if swallowed. Ultimately, cats run the risk of severe injury to, or rupture, of their intestines and treatment involves expensive abdominal surgery.

HOLIDAY PLANTS

Though they have a bad rap, poinsettia plants are only mildly toxic. Far more worrisome are holiday bouquets containing lilies, holly or mistletoe. Lilies, including tiger, Asiatic, stargazer, Easter and day lilies, are the most dangerous plants for cats,” said Dr. Ahna Brutlag, assistant director of Pet Poison Helpline. “The ingestion of one to two leaves or flower petals is enough to cause sudden kidney failure in cats.” Other yuletide pants such as holly berries and mistletoe can also be toxic to pets and can cause gastrointestinal upset and even heart arrhythmias if ingested.

ALCOHOL

Because alcohol is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, it affects pets quickly. Ingestion of alcohol can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure and body temperature. Intoxicated animals can experience seizures and respiratory failure. Additionally, foods such as desserts containing alcohol and unbaked dough that contains yeast should be kept away from pets as they may result in alcohol toxicity, vomiting, disorientation and stomach bloat.

ORNAMENTS

Ornaments on the tree can cause injury and a potential gastrointestinal obstruction risk but are not usually toxic unless they are the homemade salt-type ornaments. These are very appealing to dogs and result in serious salt toxicosis with signs of vomiting, diarrhea and serious electrolyte changes.

PPH Special
Pet Poison Helpline

Pet Poison Helpline is a 24/7 animal poison control service available for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.  Pet Poison Helpline has the ability to help every poisoned pet, with all types of poisonings.  Normally $59 per incident, with AKC Reunite you can plan ahead and subscribe your pet to this life-saving service for only $15 for the lifetime of your pet.

Should your pet ingest something potentially poisonous, contact AKC Reunite at 800-252-7894 and we will verify your membership and connect you to a toxicology expert to help you and your pet FAST.

2017-07-13T16:06:14+00:00 Categories: Pet Poison Helpline|Tags: , , , |