Brought to you by Pet Poison Helpline & AKC Reunite

Keep your pets safe this winter season by avoiding these winter hazards with your pet.

ICE MELTS

Most ice melts contain large amounts of sodium salts. Some ice melts can cause damage to the paw pads when stepped on. These can get stuck in the paws and cause redness, cracking, or chapping. Ingestion of these melts can cause mild to severe toxicity resulting in upset stomach, vomiting, and neurologic signs (trouble walking, muscle tremors, or seizures). There are “pet-friendly” ice melts that may help to minimize the chance of an injury or toxicity. Also, try to wash your pet’s paws off when they come in from outside.

ANTIFREEZE

Antifreeze can leak from a car radiator on the ground. Some animals are unfortunately attracted to leaking antifreeze due to the sweet smell and taste. This chemical is absorbed very rapidly once ingested. There is a narrow margin of safety when animals ingest this liquid and small amounts can lead to permanent damage to the kidneys. If a pet is suspected to have been exposed to Antifreeze it is imperative that this pet be taken to a Vet immediately for treatments.

FROST-BITE & HYPOTHERMIA

During the extreme cold temperatures it is possible that your pet could rapidly develop frostbite or hypothermia. When it gets cold, the body naturally pulls blood from all extremities to the internal organs to retain body heat. This may leave your pet’s ears, tail, and paws exposed where the tissue can be damaged and cause frostbite on these extremities. Dogs that have short fur, are small, or are geriatric, may be at greater risk. Try to keep the time spent outside to a minimum and try using sweaters/coats or booties to keep them warm. Remember, if you are cold, your pet is probably cold, too!

STRAY CATS & CARS

When starting your car after a quick trip to the store or from your garage it is best to bang on the hood or honk the horn of the car to scare away any stray sleepers. An cat may find a warm car engine a great place to take a nap. If the car is started while a feline is under, this could cause injuries or death once the fan belt starts moving.

PPH

Pet Poison Helpline is a 24/7 animal poison control service available for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet.  Pet Poison Helpline has the ability to help every poisoned pet, with all types of poisonings.  Normally $59 per incident, with AKC Reunite you can plan ahead and subscribe your pet to this life-saving service for only $15 for the lifetime of your pet.

Should your pet ingest something potentially poisonous, contact AKC Reunite at 800-252-7894 and we will verify your membership and connect you to a toxicology expert to help you and your pet FAST.

2017-07-13T16:04:30+00:00 Categories: Pet Poison Helpline|Tags: , , , , |