AKC Reunite, working in conjunction with AKC clubs, is raising funds to help supply stocked mobile AKC Pet Disaster Relief trailers that deliver essential, nonperishable necessities for sheltering pets when and where needed to local emergency management. The trailers provide animal care services during the first critical hours following a disaster, before FEMA support and services can be deployed.
“It’s imperative to find a solution for safe, effective pet sheltering in times of disaster. AKC Pet Disaster Relief provides that solution for local emergency management agencies, which are required by federal law to provide for the safety of the people and pets in their communities,” said Tom Sharp, AKC Reunite CEO. “We look forward to working with AKC clubs around the country to raise funds for these trailers and help them present them to local officials.”
AKC Reunite asks AKC clubs and local groups to raise funds for the trailers. Additionally, AKC Reunite has pledged $250,000 over the next two years to assist with funding.
Clubs are encouraged to promote AKC Pet Disaster Relief to both club members and individuals and organizations within the local community to raise funds to source the trailer. Clubs can team up with other area AKC clubs to raise trailer funds together. Approved organizations that raise a minimum of $1,000 will have their logo featured on the AKC Pet Disaster Relief trailer.
Trailers like these were used in AKC Reunite’s home state of North Carolina during Hurricane Isabel. Visit the NC State Animal Response Team website to watch how a trailer helped create a local shelter in “View SART in Action.”
Funds will purchase the following trailer:
The AKC Pet Disaster Relief trailer is stocked with essential supplies to create a safe, temporary home-base for at least 50 displaced animals directly after a disaster is declared. The trailer has lighting and is wired for electricity, to run off either a generator or 110v power supply. Typical trailer contents include:
- Administrative Supplies:Log books, volunteer registration forms, wrist/collar bands, check-in materials
- Maintenance Equipment: Batteries, gas can, duct tape
- Animal Care Items: Crates packed on rolling dollies for easy set-up, cat carriers, litter, microchips and scanner, bowls, collars and leashes
- Equipment: Fans, generator, lighting, hose
- Cleaning Supplies: Mop, trash can, tarps, litter boxes, disinfectants
- Access to Training Materials: Turnkey implementation of co-located shelters and pop-up reunion centers, volunteer mobilization, decontamination and replenishment